Geek Mixology is a series offering up recipes for drinks from or inspired by games—mostly the latter.
When I think of Wakka from Final Fantasy X, I first think of blitzball, Spira’s national pastime. Then I think of Besaid Island.
With its jaunty tropical soundtrack and gorgeous flora, Besaid Island is a tropical paradise. True, even it wasn’t free from Spira’s death spiral. Sin crashed the party more than once. But Wakka’s laid-back demeanor reflects the island from which he was raised: calm and bright and relaxed.
This fizzy water is simple and relaxing. For the best flavor, both you and it should be chilled.
This light, refreshing drink fizzes like sea foam and smells earthy and buoyant, both at once. The musky sage plays counterpoint to the fruits’ sweetness. When you lift your glass, the dazzling smell of cucumber fills your head with island dreams.
Makes two glasses
- 6 chunks of chopped fresh pineapple (approximately 1 cup)
- 3 orange wedges, preferably red navel orange (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 4 cucumber slices (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 1 sage leaf, cut chiffonade style
- 4 teaspoons agave syrup
- 3 dashes cinnamon
- 1/3 cup water
- fizzy seltzer to taste
1. Finely chop the pineapple, orange wedges, cucumber slices, and sage. Add ingredients to a blender and pour in the water. Blend until fully pureed.
2. Sprinkle in the cinnamon and pour in the agave syrup. If you like your drinks sweet, feel free to add an extra teaspoon.
3. Blend the mixture once more to stir in the cinnamon and agave syrup.
4. If you don’t like pulp, strain the mixture through a colander, reserving the liquids. Otherwise, pour half of the mixture into a glass.
5. Add seltzer, stirring constantly so that the pulp mixes into the water. Gulp down!
This is just a guideline for Wakka Fizz. It tastes great with both a 1:1 and 2:1 ratio of pineapple puree to seltzer. The more seltzer you add, the less sweet the final drink will be. Add a tiny sliver of ginger to the puree for a little island kick!